The invention of electric ovens revolutionized the way we cook at home, with the ease of assembling ingredients into one pan, setting the temperature and letting your oven do the actual cooking. Whether you’re an ambitious baker who loves to try out new recipes or you just love the convenience of popping a frozen tray of lasagna in for dinner, your oven gets the job done!
Of course, ovens aren’t all hassle-free time in the kitchen. Keeping an oven hygienic and grease-free is notoriously difficult and time consuming, especially if you’re not in the habit, or simply don’t have time to wipe the inside of your oven each time, after it cools. Over time, the splatters and spills build up and get baked onto the oven walls and door. It may become tough to clean and unpleasant to put your food inside.
Oven cleaning doesn’t have to be a dreaded chore though. To save time and keep the inside of your kitchen appliances and cabinets fresh and clean, you may prefer to outsource these tasks to a professional home cleaning service in Downtown Toronto. If you’re up for the challenge of doing it yourself, we’ve prepared a step-by-step guide to help make your oven spic and span. Read on.
How do you clean the inside of an oven?
Follow the steps below to clean your oven without using harsh chemicals or breathing dangerous fumes.
1. Gather the following supplies:
- Dish detergent
- Scrubbing brush
- Garbage bag or newspaper
- Baking soda
- Scrub sponge (use inexpensive ones from the dollar store)
- Plastic scraper
- A few old rags
- Rubber spatula or plastic spoon
- Rubber gloves (optional: use if you don’t want to get your hands messy)
2. Soak the oven racks
- Remove racks from the oven and submerge in warm water mixed with 1/2 cup of dish detergent
- If you don’t have a sink or container that’s large enough, you can soak the racks in your bathtub. Before putting the racks in the tub, be sure to spread an old towel on the bottom to prevent scratches.
- Allow racks to soak for a few hours, then scrub with a brush and rinse
3. Prepare and apply your cleaning solution
- Spread a garbage bag or newspaper on the floor underneath the front of the oven to catch any drips or debris
- Mix 4 parts baking soda with 1 part water to form a thick, spreadable paste
- Use a spatula or your fingers to spread paste over dirty areas inside the oven. Avoid getting it on the heating elements.
4. Let it sit
- Close the oven and leave the paste on for 30 – 45 minutes
- Don’t be concerned if the baking soda paste turns brown. This is an expected reaction which means it’s working to lift and absorb the grease and grime.
5. Apply vinegar and scrub
- Dip the scrub sponge in undiluted vinegar then scrub the areas where you applied the baking soda paste
- Use the plastic scraper to help loosen any stubborn spots
6. Wipe the oven clean
- Reach in and thoroughly wipe down the interior of your oven with damp rags
- Remove all traces of the baking soda and vinegar and clean off all the softened grease
- Finish by wiping with a dry rag and buffing the glass on the door
Enjoy having a fresh, clean oven again!
Where can I book premier home cleaning services in Downtown Toronto?
If you want to take a break from cleaning, our team of expert cleaners are ready to tackle all your household cleaning challenges, including a dirty, greasy oven!
Since 2008, Hire A Maid has been providing clients in Downtown Toronto, Etobicoke, Whitby, Richmond Hill and other communities in the Greater Toronto Area with flexible options for one-time and recurring residential cleaning services.
Our WSIB protected and extensively trained cleaners adhere to systematic procedures that ensure effective cleaning and sanitization, including the high-touch surfaces in your home. We customize our service to meet your requirements. Fill out our online form or reach out to us via phone to request your free, custom quote today!